This month we’ll explore several reader platforms to help you discover additional author visibility outlets. You won’t want to miss a post!
Goodreads – Just the Facts!
Goodreads is a social network designed to meet the needs of both authors and readers.
- A platform for gathering readers and authors
- Launched in 2007
- Readers list books they want to read, read them and rate them
- Readers can also leave a review, but it’s optional
- Readers can connect with other readers, just like they would on other social networks
- There are more than 40 million members, 1.3 billion books and 47 million reviews on this platform; 70% female and 30% male users
- It’s one of the most visited websites in the world
- You can network with fellow readers and authors
- Readers vote on their list of favorite books (Listopia)
- Goodreads help people find the books they really want to read
- You can track the books you read
- It integrates with other social networks
- Connect via message boards, recommendations and listicles
- Some people compare it to Pandora Radio for books
Why Should Authors Use This Platform?
Authors should run to Goodreads because it offers the following author visibility benefits:
- You can communicate directly with readers through the “Ask the Author” platform, or post trivia, polls, quizzes, quotes and events
- You can set up a Goodreads button on your blog
- You can solicit reviews
- Want to dig down deep? Start a Q&A Discussion Group
- Launch a Goodreads Book Giveaway
- Determine if Goodreads Deals meet with the specifics of your book
- Sell your books from a subtle position
How Do I Register for this Platform?
To register, go to www. goodreads.com and complete the log in information.
Are There Any Costs Related to this Platform?
Goodreads is a $0 platform (except for paid ads which you may want to consider — get details here). Otherwise, your investment is your time.
Follow these steps to begin your relationship with Goodreads and the readers who frequent this network:
- Go to www.goodreads.com. Sign up for a free account. Spend time learning the dashboard to assure your ability to benefit from this site.
- Complete your author profile (bio, photo, social network links)
- Import your blog from your author website
- Double-check all links and references
- Join groups that interest you.
- If available, add your video book trailer
- Invite friends to join you (consider using the import tool to gather friends from your social networks).
- Read the works of other authors and comment or rate them, when appropriate
- Position yourself to meet new readers and fellow authors
- Visit this page if you need assistance. You’ll find a slideshow there also — www.goodreads.com/author/program
Sample Review for this Platform
- Add a brief introduction to the book
- A a brief synopsis of the storyline
- List several relevant points
- List things you didn’t like or seemed not to fit (be gracious in your wording)
- What surprised you the most
- Other (perhaps a question surfaced more than once, or you have an additional comment)
Check out the following e-books available on Amazon.com on the subject of Goodreads:
Goodreads for Authors: How to Use Goodreads to Promote Your Books
The Author’s Guide to Goodreads: How to Engage With Readers and Market Your Book