Skip to content
Self-publishers are often self-editors. Here are a few quick tips to help you get the job done:
10. Take frequent breaks, as needed.
9. Don’t rush the process. If possible, reserve editing for a day other than a writing day.
8. Read your work out loud and listen for its rhythm.
7. Whenever possible, eliminate the word “that.”
6. Edit your work from print rather than on a computer screen.
5. Break down compound sentences; single sentences read better.
4. Look for sentence clarity, then paragraph clarity.
3. Be consistent with details.
2. Avoid passive verbs.
1. (Drumroll, please) Use simple grammar.